A is for Angel Cupcakes
With the festive season in full swing, it can be tempting to try and do everything bigger and better. Often, however, the simple ideas can be the best.
Take these Angel Cakes for example. They are a simple combination of vanilla cupcakes, vanilla icing and icing sugar. But they make for the perfect Christmas treat.
Most people would have heard of, and probably made, Butterfly Cakes. All you need to do to make these super cute Angel Cakes is make a batch of your favourite cupcakes as you would for Butterfly Cakes and reposition the wings.
How wonderfully delightful are these Angel Cakes?
Here is how we made them.
120g unsalted butter
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
2 cups icing sugar mixture
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons hot water
extra icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Line a cupcake tray with paper liners
3. Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Mix in the vanilla.
5. Add eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition.
6. Add flour and milk and mix well.
7. Spoon batter evenly among paper cases.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
9. Allow to cool for a few minutes in tray before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.
10. To make the icing, mix icing sugar and butter together in a medium bowl.
11. Add water and mix until a smooth paste forms.
12. To assemble the cakes, cut a disc from the top of each cake.
13. Fill the top of the cake with icing.
14. Cut the cake disc in half and gently stand each half upright in the icing to form wings.