B is for Bread for The Kids Cook Monday

I must admit I was at a bit of a loss as to what to get Bear and Bee to help me cook for dinner tonight.  I normally like to plan with a weekly menu plan but after a busy weekend that started with visiting relatives, ended with manning a stall of preloved baby items at a local market and included Bear suffering from a tummy bug I have ended up being disorganised (and very tired) this week.

Seeing we all like freshly cooked bread in the threefootcooks household and Spaghetti Bolognaise is always welcome for dinner I went in search for a quick and easy bread recipe to try.  As time was limited I needed something that required only a short rising and cooking time.  I have written about our regular recipe for super quick bread in a previous post however with no plain yoghurt in the fridge I needed something different.

B is for Bread

I was very happy when I came across this recipe for Fairly Quick Italian Bread on the One Punky Mama blog as it was exactly what I had been looking for.  I love her tip on being gentle with yeast as it is a delicate creature and after making the bread, I love her recipe.  The only change I made was to add 1 teaspoon of dried Italian herb mix to the dry ingredients for an extra flavour hit. 


If you are making this in Australia (like me) remember that the measurements and temperatures are in US not Metric.  The water temperature converts to approximately 37°
Celsius, you need 7 grams of yeast and preheat the oven to 200° Celsius for baking the bread.  Also next time I will make a longer, thinner loaf to shorten the cooking time.  At the size we made it, our loaf took 30 minutes to bake.

B is for Bread
Bear measuring the baker's flour.



B is for Bread
Mixing together the dry ingredients.



B is for Bread
Slowly adding the water and then the oil.



B is for Bread
Shhh! It's sleeping.



B is for Bread
Punching the dough.



B is for Bread
Ready to bake.



B is for Bread
Delicious homebaked bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment